Friday, June 20, 2008

Oh Where, Oh Where Has Our Island Gone

Between keeping Reid last Thursday and Friday and celebrating Father's Day on Sunday, Alvin and I decided to run up to the lake last Saturday to see if our boat was still in tact. You see, we have had some crazy weather in Arkansas this spring. It has either rained most every weekend since Easter or has been too windy to get out on the lake. We keep our boat at "Shiloh Marina" at Greers Ferry, which is about and hour and a half from home. We usually start boating at the end of March or the beginning of April. With all the spring rains, and flooding the lake is still 21 feet above flood stage and the Corp. of Engineers are saying it will be Halloween before the water returns to normal stage.

We had been told by the manager of the marina by phone that the lake was really high and when we decided to come up to be really careful because the water was so high and things didn't look the same out on the water.

Our favorite place to hang out on the lake is an island where on any given Saturday or Sunday afternoon there might be 12 to 15 boats docked. We like to tie off and swim, float on rafts, fish, grill or just hang out with friends. So imagine our dismay when will headed out of the cove where the marina is located into the open water. And this is what we saw........

One tree, no island

Island or no Island we are still having fun!!!


Where are the fish!

4 comments:

MiMi said...

I cannot believe that the water is that high! I wish you would send us some of your rain here in NC! We are still on water restrictions.
I think YOU ARE my long, lost sister!!!! You are not going to believe this! I was telling my husband about "meeting" you and I called him over to show him your blog. I was telling him how much we had in common when.....what starts playing, but "If" by Bread! Oh my gosh! Walt sang that to me at our wedding! We both could not believe it! We started laughing so hard!
I have music in my head alot of times, too! For instance, on our way out of church last Sunday, we passed a young girl that had a T-shirt on that had "LADIES NIGHT" written on it! Oh, girl...for the next TWO days I had "Oh yes it's ladies night, and the feelings right, Oh yes it's ladies night, Oh what a night", going round and round in my head!!!! Usually it will be the last song I hear before I get out of the car in the morning or the last thing I hear before I go to sleep at night. That is TOO funny!
But, "A Burning Ring of Fire" while on the potty......I don't know???? Mexican food??? LOL

Susie said...

Sis,

I can't believe the lake! Looks like you guys had lots of fun anyway.

love ya,

His Doorkeeper said...

You and Alvin remind me of my hubby and me. We love to be together and still have fun after all these years!

Thank you Becky, for the sweet words on my blog about the grandbaby-to-come. It's hard to fathom at the moment but I can hardly wait for the next 7 mos. to go by! My Mom always said they were aptly named.....GRANDchildren!!

Leigh Ann said...

You two are just PRECIOUS!